Mycofiltration Trials

Since my last post on June 18th, we (friends and student volunteers with Lewis Ginter) have run through two days of bench-scale testing of our bucket mycofilters (which are buckets filled with wood chips that were colonized with Stropharia rugoso-annulata mushroom mycelium). For each trial, we made a batch of water that we contaminated with dog fecal matter, which we call “synthetic stormwater,” in order to simulate stormwater runoff containing pathogens like E.coli commonly found in streams. Each trial was a half hour of running the “synthetic stormwater” through the various columns of bucket mycofilters.

June 11, 2016 (Day 1 trials)

Here is a short description of the four trial runs we conducted on Day 1:

Part II of the same video:

An influent sample was taken at the 5, 15 and 25 minute-mark for each half hour trial. Here is a video of a sample being taken:

Taking a sample of the influent. #mycoremediation

A post shared by Nina O'Malley (@mycologic) on

Effluent samples were collected from the bottom of each column of buckets at the 10, 20 and 30 minute-mark for each half hour trial.

June 12, 2016

In this series videos James Beckley describes the process of using Coliscan Easygel (and how we had to adapt our method) to determine the number of E. coli colonies (in CFU/100mL) per sample we collected:

 

June 27, 2016 (Day 2 trials)

We did a couple things differently for Day 2 trials. The first thing we changed was how we incorporated our dog waste sample. Instead of placing the sample directly into the rain barrel to incorporate it with the hose, which we felt did not break up the sample adequately, we measured out 7.26g of dog fecal matter into a two liter bottle with some chlorine-free water and shook it vigorously until there were no remaining clumps of material (as shown in the video below). This water was then added back into the 50 gallon total. A 50 gallon batch of “synthetic stormwater” was made for each trial.

The second thing we did differently, in Day 2 of trials, was how we delivered the “synthetic stormwater” into the filters. Instead of using a hose splitter to divert the influent to each column of buckets, we decided to use one large reservoir that had 3 identical holes that released water at 2L/minute. We decided to do this to attempt coliform consistency in the influent going to each column of filters, and to maintain an even flow rate among each filter column.

Here James walks us through the experiment setup for Day 2 trials:

Part II of the same video:

A BIG thanks to James, Charlie, Kyle, Bray, Harrison and Lewis Ginter!

Results are coming next! Stay Myco-tuned!

Mush love~

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s